Thursday, 17 February 2011

February week two

This is a very special post.

Early this week I was reminded of the importance of keeping life in balance and the ramifications of not doing so.

It started a few weeks ago with  the perceived need to complete a project for a major event.

This lead to many nights short changed of sleep and the added stress of what was seen to be an important deadline.

Then came the all weekend event which covered more than sixteen hours.

Rather than taking time out to recover from that marathon I ploughed on through. At the same time noticing what were at the time some irritating health issues.

From last Thursday night it was impossible to sleep and by Sunday morning I was a shattered wreck. 

Worst of all was that there was no relief from the lethargy and shortness of breath.

Like most men I delayed until it had literally frightened the growth (and almost life) out of me and called an ambulance.

An hour later it was a familiar round of different people asking the same questions over and over, the promise that I'd on feel a small scratch (she lied, it hurt like hell and I have a high pain barrier. :-))

Injections, blood samples, heart monitors and the sheer frustration of being there.

Forward twenty four hours.

I am now 6 kg lighter courtesy of diuretics, things are as back to normal as can be and for the first time I've agreed to take whatever medicine they propose.

Now five days later, have not done all the right things like taking time out for recovery and to take some pressure off.

So what happened

The official diagnosis was was heart failure.

Bottom line it means that my heart couldn't cope with what I was throwing at it. As a result there was a build up of fluid that couldn't be moved around the body to where it was needed. 

Fluid built up in my lungs and as a result oxygen supply to my body and brain was depleted, chronically. 

Symptoms; unexplained weight gain, lethargy, constant chronic fatigue and a feeling of doom. Like tomorrow will come without me being here.

Afterthoughts;  it is OK to say enough! It is OK to take time out, the wheels won't fall off the world if you do. If you're still thinking that way look at the world from a  new perspective, ask yourself this, "If I died today/tonight, would any of this really matter?"

The answer is no. What does matter is for you to be here and present for family and loved ones, to lead a full, rich and long life. 

We are living in the most exciting time in recorded human history and so it is important to spend it in meaningful ways.

A friend described five aspects of attitude and belief in building a success filled and happy life. Likening each to a candle, the candles of Hope, Peace, Faith, Hope Love and Dreams. Each one lighting the next.

Getting life back into balance and focussing on the future.

I ask anyone reading this to really consider how important health is. It is in fact your most important asset.

Be well 
Kim

Live long and prosper
Mr. Spock
Star Trek

No comments:

Post a Comment