Wednesday, 20 July 2011

Straight fences

It's worth being reminded from time to time of the skills and talents of others and it helps if they have drawn attention to differences in capabilities. A kind of reality check if you will.

After recent damaging winds a farmer was replacing old fences that had not withstood the gale. The new fence was straight and taut to stand for another fifty or sixty years as the old one had.

He worked methodically as many others had before.

I couldn't help but smile at my own inadequacies. In thinking that for all I've done in my life I still can't put up a straight fence. Yet here was a man that I respect who calmly went about erecting perfectly straight and strong fences.

The lesson that day was to acknowledge the talents and abilities of others and edify them for what they do.

So this is a compliment to a quiet achiever who has talents he may see as just being his life and work.


What are your talents, your native abilities, how do others see you and the things you do? More importantly how do you see yourself?

You may take stock of the things that make up a your day and how comfortable and confident it feels doing what you do.

As fellow author Kathleen O'Dwyer says  "we know what we know and therefore assume that everyone else does too." This can lead to playing down our skills and talents for various reasons.

I appreciate these skills and talents of others, their lives, shared experiences and our interactions are what makes the tapestry of life that much richer.

No comments:

Post a Comment