I hadn't
seen her for years and yet here she was with my brother Richard and his wife
Amy, who’d met her on their way home from the city. She still seemed as young as ever and obviously very happy and at
peace with the world. Remembering how it had ended between us it was hard to
believe that we would ever speak again let alone contemplate a civil
conversation or even meeting face to face.
The years between had appeared to have been kind to her and there was an
aura of peace that seemed to touch everyone around her.
“It’s
amazing who you find when you’re not looking for anyone” quipped Robert. Always
the comedian of the family.
She
warmly smiled shook my hand. this was a good start. That simple contact made it
seem like we’d never been apart. After the usual pleasantries and some banter
between Robert and I the four of us found a coffee shop where we could continue
our conversation. Obviously there had been a lot said between Katherine and Amy
and I smiled and hoped it was all good.
Coffee
arrived and there were a thousand questions going through my mind, most of
which concerned what had brought her back from Melbourne. She said that she was
looking for a change in direction. I asked what that meant, and was rewarded
with one of those smiles that said a lot and yet said nothing.
“Katherine
this has been wonderful seeing you again, I’d like to hear more of what’s been
happening if you have the time.”
“I have
to collect some things from a building site that I visited earlier today and
would appreciate a lift as I haven’t hired a car yet.”
“I need
to see a mate who has something he wants to show me, it should only take a
couple of minutes, so maybe we can do that on the way.
We
agreed to follow Robert and Amy to York,
well known for it’s historical tourist attractions. Conversation in the
car was light and the journey passed quickly until we came to a bridge under
repair. Young boys, obviously locals, on their bikes were riding among the
workmen on the bridge as we approached. They were really enjoying themselves as
they raced in front of us to the end of the bridge and onto a grass verge in
front of a car dealers full of high class cars.
They
reminded me of myself at their age.
Apologising
for leaving Katherine in the car I went into the yard to speak with Charles,
when one car caught my eye. The placard
indicated it was twenty years old and the price tag of just over forty two
thousand which was interesting to say the least. Forty two grand for a
Lamborghini , there had to be something wrong here. Charles assured me there
wasn’t. Slapping him on the back I joked, “now why would I take the word of a
car salesman.”
“Because
I’m your mate and you can trust me.” he
replied with grin.
Katherine
was feeling unwell when I returned to the car. Her comfort was still my concern
and we’d need to stop somewhere for her to rest. The work site wasn’t much
further so it was decided to push on.
Pulling
up at the gate of the work-site Katherine got out and walked to a ute on the site. Out of concern for her I
followed, squatted by the open door and we chatted about everyday things,
mainly the future. At one point she said she was looking for work in the area.
My heart raced, this was good news it seemed we had a second chance. I then became
deep in thought about the past and how things had ended between us.
My
reverie was broken when she said “the past is exactly that, we have to look to
the future.” There was emphasis on the word we. Did she mean that this was suggesting something.
Later a
vintage charabanc (early motorbus) came by driven by an equally elderly woman
who smiled and seemed to be enjoying her work of showing tourists around. It
was obvious she loved her work. There was laughter coming from the charabanc
later as it drove past down a tree
lined street of beautifully maintained old houses below the highway. I guess there’s a message there, maybe it is
time to take a break a, smell the roses and have some fun. Life had been full
on for the last few years with projects that, while important, need more energy
to complete them.
Seeing
Katherine again was a reminder of the fun times we’d had together back east.
Things that made us laugh and created memories that were now flooding back. One
night we’d been invited to a dinner dance and I’d forgotten to take my shoes.
She laughed at me, but said I was still quite a good dancer. Even in rubber
soled army boots!
Feeling
a hand on my shoulder I turned to see that smiling expectancy, it was still
there. The excitement of the ride lit up her eyes and the playful exuberance
reminiscent of so many times in the past.
The
others had already left for home, leaving just the two of us. Was this done on
purpose I wondered? No matter why it’s a golden opportunity to catch up and
enjoy what time we had together today.
“Feeling
hungry?” I asked.
“Yes,
what’s on offer?” she asked.
The talk
of food was a reminder of leave on Saturday nights, the routine as Chico rolls
and then the movies. Oh yes, the movies!
It felt
natural to take her hand as we walked to the café that seemed as though it had
transported us back to the early days of the town as we stood outside the
Meeting Place Café. We must have been, the paint was fresh, the interior cool
and clean and the red and white check tablecloths complementing the bright
curtains in the windows. Even the staff were dressed in outfits in keeping with
the place.
“So what
was your comment about living in the future?” I teased.
She
smiled, then playfully replied “well you have to start somewhere.”
“I had
to move on with my life.” she said, without recrimination.
“Remember
how young we were back then.” “Those were some of the best times of my life.”
We were free to enjoy ourselves, when work allowed, and we did.”
Then she
hesitated and I thought that this could become a painful end to what had seemed
like a wonderful reunion. I was wrong.
“I was
devastated when you left, but over time came remember the good times.”
“I
forgave you a long time ago and realised that I was partly to blame, I knew
that you really did love me and began to understand what had happened towards
the end of your army career.”
“Some
years later a television documentary on the effects of serving in the army made me realise what had actually happened.
I also spoke with dad about his time in the army and that gave me a lot of
insights into his life too.”
Reaching
out she placed her hand on mine on the table. We both had tears in our eyes.
There was still love in those beautiful grey eyes. It seemed even more like
we’d been transported back in time. Back to our late teens and those amazing
times shared with the first tentative steps of first time love for both of us.
“Thank
you Katherine, you have come back with a gift that is more healing than all the
therapy that I’ve had over the past few years.”
“You
have often been in my thoughts too and it felt like you were reaching out from
where you were and I wondered if we would ever meet again and how we would
relate.”
Those grey eyes were smiling again, this time with
warmth and affection.
“Well
here we are in the past, so what of the future, what are your plans and
dreams?” I asked.
My
response surprised her.
“Well to
start with you’re here, what are your plans?”
The air
was charged with emotion, hesitancy and
expectancy. It seemed that one wrong word could break the magic of the moment.
I held my breath then exhaled slowly as she waited for me to continue. That was
one thing I remembered. She could always get me to talk simply by being still
and saying nothing.
Feeling
compelled to continue and not break the mood I began with my story.
“From
that November day I’ve always wanted to be settled in a close relationship, but
could never carry it off.”
“My
vision of the future is a blank canvas, sure there are some ideas but they
haven’t seemed right somehow, like a part of them is missing.”
“Sure
there are grand kids now, but they are already making their own lives, and the rest of my family lead their own
lives.”
It felt
right that I should ask again about her life and plans. Realising that this opening up and sharing
our past and present would not be something to happen overnight.
“There
comes a time when you need to re evaluate your life both in achievements and
expectations.”
Her eyes
left me for some point high in the distance. I know from this she was reliving
images from the past and hoped they were happy ones.
“I'm not
here to escape anything or leave anything behind.”
“My
daughter Alyce and her husband Paul went to London to complete their studies
and have only returned a couple of times. ”My grand daughter Mary is seventeen
and grandson Charles fifteen.”
“ I had
thought of moving back to England but remembering what childhood was like and
how life is here and realised that Australia is my home.”
“Ten years
ago my husband, Ray was flying home when his plane went down off the Queensland
coast. It’s never been recovered.”
Her eyes
shaded over at the memory. It seemed that in not knowing exactly where it
happened had left her bereft of closure, not being able to say goodbye.
“Dad
passed away fifteen years ago and Mum not long after of cancer.”
I
remembered John, her dad, was a great man who’d served in the British army in
Italy during World War two. Her mother, also Katherine was what you would
describe as a lady. Charming, poised and very dignified.
“So now
you can probably see why I prefer to live in the future.”
I
thought to myself I've nothing to complain about, my son and grand kids are
only an hours flight away and we often talk on Skype and Facebook. The benefits
I guess of having a son who is tech savvy.
“You've
had rough time, it’s natural that you’d want to make the future better than the
past.”
“Tell me
what’s in this grand future plan of yours, you mentioned looking for work, what
is it you do?”
“That’s
two questions.” She quipped, smiling.
It was
easy to see she’d found a special and rare peace that many never find. That
peace seemed to settle on the patrons and staff in the café. Most times cafes and coffee shops are
noisy places. Conversations in the Meeting Place though were subdued with an
air of contentment. It could be ambience of the place, but Katherine’s presence
must have been felt. You know how it is sometimes when someone walks into a
room and all eyes turn to them. That’s Katherine.
“I’m a
psychologist, it seems that in working on myself I felt it would be practical
to use what I already knew by studying and then use that to help others.”
“That
started after Ray died. For a couple of years I struggled and then strangely enough
I found an old photo of us on Mount Dandenong the one where you were wearing
that blue cravat you insisted on wearing.”
,
“It’s
funny thinking about it now that we had all those dreams and no plans past your
discharge, each day was for living and doing things that were fun. even
shopping.”
I guess
that was one thing learned from her mother, that shopping was fun her mum would have known having spent time
in Paris and Rome. Perhaps that’s where John learned his patience, outside the
shops. Saturdays at the shopping centres together while I was on leave were
adventures that usually finished at a restaurant in the mountains.
“Seeing
that reminded me of so many things and I think it was then that I started to
heal from losing Ray and the kids being
so far away. It seemed I was being led to something else in life that was being
done for me.”
“Remember
the nights you came to dinner after hitch hiking to Melbourne to attend your
media course?” “That was what inspired
me to learn something new and becoming a counsellor seemed the right way to
go.”
“Then a
few months ago there was an news item on the TV about a major fire near here
and I felt a need to come to this part of the country again.”
authors
note: the fire was just off Brookton highway in Roleystone.
“I was
at the South Suburban Shopping Centre when I ran into Robert and Amy. Then we
met you and having a coffee with them and chatting about things from the past.
I didn't know that Robert had be been in the army too.”
“He has
a great sense of humour. It was fun
remembering the night at the cabaret
when you decided to get up on stage with the Gilmore brothers and sing a
Credence bracket. The audience loved it and I was quite impressed. I'm
surprised though that you never made a career of singing. You would have done
well.”
“Well
thanks for the compliment, that was a great night and an amazing weekend that
was probably the best that year.”
“So did
you follow on working in the media?”
“I
actually did for another fourteen years working on air and in the creative end
of things,. You know like writing commercials and promotions. One contract
meant also being in sales and marketing as well as on air. This is how I met
some very interesting people who had their own businesses and it seemed were
having a lot more fun. A lot of invitations to events and parties came out of
that as well. there was still something missing.” EXP
“As a
counsellor you probably deal with people who have high expectations and yet
never manage to get satisfaction out of what they do.”
“They
were there a long time before that, Ray was always driving at something bigger
and better, never satisfied. In a way Alyce and Paul are like that too. Maybe
she inherited it from her father.”
Pushing
a piece of hair off her face she continued.....
“To be
perfectly honest I can understand why they do, but have to ask are they really
happy.”
“Are you
happy with what you’re doing, come to think of it what do you do now. Obviously
it’s not the media.”
This was
going to come it is a question that is hard to answer. After all how can you explain something that most
people have never done but think it would be kind of.
“I
haven’t had a boss in over twenty four years since leaving the media.”
The
startled look on her face was priceless. It got the same response every time,
something in this country to do with bludgers and the unemployable. Thinking
quickly on my feet, before the shock set in I continued....
“I
became self employed that year and for a few years worked in finance.”
Katherine
took a deep breath and exhaled forcefully. It was a sure sign that my answer had surprised her. Before she
raise another question I continued.
“Do you
still like to read as much as you used to?”
“It took
a while to pick up a book after my degree, but now it is one of the things that
are relaxing. “I find reading lets me drift off into my own little world and
get lost there for a while.”
“Actually
since we’re here with history in the place has just reminded me of a wonderful
novel I read a few months ago.”
“It was
one of those books that made you think and that was possibly another thing that lead me back here.”
“You may
not relate to it, it’s a book about a woman’s life and how the influences of
her family later influences her relationship with her husband and children. I
can’t say I entirely agree with some of the things that are said, but it has a
familiarity about it.”
“You
never stop to think about how the family life affects your thinking as you grow
up......I remember arguing with Mum when I was in my teens and swearing I’d
never be as mean as she seemed to be at the time. It came as quite a shock when
I found myself saying exactly the same thing to Alyce.”
A warm
smile crossed her face, memories of her parents and daughter perhaps? She has
become like her mum in so many ways, but the proud independence often masks the
gentle and compassionate woman. Almost as if reading my thoughts she went
on....
“As I
recall your mother was an only child, how old is she now. “
”She was
eighty four when she passed away a few years ago.”
“I sorry
for your loss, was it an illness.”
We were
both now recognising that there were more common experiences, like the loss of
family. Her hand was on mine for the second time that afternoon. She hadn’t
lost that compassionate touch that could say a lot. We had arrived at that
point again where finding a little has led to wanting to know more.
As we
made our way to the checkout she turned and looked at me with a slight frown.
Once again there were a lot of questions and concerns going through my
mind. Where would we go from here? If
she was experiencing the same doubts and concerns from the past what would
happen?
No comments:
Post a Comment